Sunday, October 19, 2008

Repose

This morning, after drinking coffee in bed with the hubs and attempting to catch up on the mountain of magazines and books piled on, under and next to my nightstand, I sat in repose. "I can't wait for election day....just to not have to listen to these ads any more" the hubs said in disgust after watching a two-minute deluge of nastiness and partisan rhetoric. I could not agree more.

Oh sure, I'm guilty of it myself. I've blogged about my fears and concerns and outrage about this election and the issues at stake mainly because I'm tired of sitting in silence, for fear of offending a friend or acquaintance. I've read a lot lately from bloggers who won't dare speak their minds and risk losing readers or followers or advertisers and, in all honesty, it made me sick.  So, ever the rebel, I spoke out. I came out of my closet and declared what I stood up for.....human rights. The freedom to be with the one you love, to love those that are different from ourselves, to make choices for yourself and your body. But, I worried regularly, in doing so did I join the ranks of the judgmental? Was I just another knowitall blabbing about their beliefs?  Could be.

I've gained so much from this blogging thing. I've made great friendships I would have never dared to believe I could've made.  I have found deep inspiration in a world of bloggers, artists, writers, activists.....humans.

It's a curious common theme, no?

Humans.

And when it all comes down to it, when the niceties and pretty packaging are all stripped away, we find we are, essentially, all the same.  When the hurricanes hit, when planes crash into buildings, when the levees break, when disease threatens....we are all the same.

But why do we have to be reminded by these tragedies and terrors that we are all the same? That we love and feel and live.....the same.

The news of a plane crash this summer might have been just another plane crash news story in the constant barrage of depressing headlines but, in large part to the blogging phenomenon, it made worldwide news. The story itself is gut-wrenching....loving parents of four small children injured in a plane crash (not to mention the loss of the pilot).  But what really got to me and continues to get to me as I read the updates on her sister's blog, is the connection and the movement to support this family. I've read many entries by Stephanie about her beliefs, her faith, her politics....we are not alike in many regards.  But I also have read countless posts about her children, her husband, her family, her innate passion and zest for life and I realize, in the simplest and most fundamental of ways, we are exactly alike.

And, really, aren't we all?

As I read of Stephanie and Christian's interminable and grueling healing process, I feel ridiculous.  My worries and "problems" seem laughable. My complaining and whining for what I don't have is humiliating. 
"I am starting to believe that there is no such thing as tragedy. There is only opportunity for growth, and should you accept it, the reward overcomes the sailing of the hardship."

3 comments:

  1. if you can't be a judgmental know-it-all on your own blog, well then, what's the point???????

    yes, we are all the same... our hearts, our need for love and acceptance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI there! Just added you as a friend on Twitter! I'm from the Boise area too!

    ReplyDelete