Friday, September 26, 2008

Out

I have been inspired by Clay Aiken and Lindsay Lohan to come out of my closet.

I am heterosexual.

There.  I've said it. What a relief!

I mean, come on people, is this really necessary in this day and age?  Are we still fixated on someone's sexual orientation?  Like it's anyone's business or has any relevance?

Groups like this frighten me.  Greatly. The concept that gays can't have the same human rights as heteros catapults us right back to the 60's where whites believed blacks weren't worthy of the same human rights they were allowed.

It. Makes. Me. Sick.

But, more than anything, it frightens me.  What if my children are gay?  Will they be subjected to the same hate and self-righteous beliefs of people who hold their bibles up high and judge others instead of loving people unconditionally as preached in the bible? 

You would think, so soon after 9/11, that we would remember how alienating it felt to be hated so much by others and that they would commit such a heinous and hate-filled act. But, being the ADD country we are, we quickly move on to the next headline.....the bailout crisis, the election, and, of course, whether or not someone is gay.

I don't care how someone chooses to vote in 39 days but I do hope that people will be compassionate and think of how their decisions will effect everyone.  Gay, straight, black, white, rich, poor, believers and non-believers.  

Everyone.

4 comments:

  1. I. Agree. What does it really matter? in this day of news/press trying to *make a story* who really gives a flying f*ck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100%. We have so many more important things to worry about. Who cares who is bumpy fuzzies or smoking pole? Grow up already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you weren't kidding, kiddo! did you give your visitors a link to this blog??

    unfortunately, progress isn't linear... nor is it even unanimously defined, which just floors me. and what is saddest of all to me, is i am beginning to believe that compassion is a learned behavior rather than part of our collective genetic makeup. and if it IS a learned behavior, you need people willing to learn it and people willing to teach it, my friend. don't see too much of that these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you actually go to the website - they spout this:

    "Proposition 8 is NOT an attack on gay couples and does not take away the rights that same-sex couples already have under California’s domestic partner law. California law already grants domestic partners all the rights that a state can grant to a married couple. Gays have a right to their private lives, but not to change the definition of marriage for everyone else."

    Huh?!?

    I believe we took the definition already modelled by our parents....These folks do not get it...I've been separate but equal for 25 years now....it ain't fun.

    ReplyDelete