Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Nudge

A few days ago, thanks to my newly re-found friend (long story) Debbie, I learned what a harbinger was. I always seem to encounter little nudges like this and figured it was the Universe reminding me that it was there. Watching. And I've always found that a great comfort.

I was working on photos this morning when I inadvertently clicked on an unintended folder in iPhoto. Turns out, it was a folder that I'd created years ago to house photos just of my girls. Now some would argue that this was not necessarily a harbinger, per se, but for me it definitely was a nudge. A little reminder of how I felt about these soft, squidgy babies that I had not too long ago.


This one is a fave and was foisted off on anyone I could possibly think of at the time.  Of course, it took about three hundred attempts (and many tears) but the end result (boogey-eyes and all) is priceless.


This was at the winery on a sweltering summer day when she was just starting to be able to push herself up.  Seems like such a small thing these days but was a major accomplishment at the time. Her expression seems to say "check me out".


And, of course, with learning comes failure and she took it hard.
She still does.


Doesn't this just make you smile?  That's her gift.  She lightens me. All of the angst I feel most of the time just melts when I look at her.  Sappy, I know, but true.


Thankfully, she still does this when she's really, really tired.  Which is perfectly okay with me.


This one really struck me.  The weight of the world seems to be resting on her little shoulders and I instantly felt panic that maybe I'd done that to her.


But then just one shutter later she looks like the wisest old soul I've ever laid eyes on.


And then, as always, she manages to lighten it up for all of us with her inherited goofy gene. 
 (thanks, Daddy)


This is just plain funny....feet flexed, eyes rolled up, steely determination.....it's just funny, people.


Five thousand attempts later everyone is relaxed (note strap off the shoulder...priceless!) and able to capture a lasting Kodak (okay, okay...Olympus) moment.

Whether stumbling upon these was a harbinger or just a loving nudge from the Universe, what I know for sure is that I am reminded of how lucky I am of the chance to watch them grow and, in turn, watch myself grow (hopefully) into a better human being.


2 comments:

  1. I love love love everything about this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these photos are so very precious. i've said it before, your girls are beautiful (like their mom) and they are lucky to have a mommy that loves them so. oh, and thanks for the shout-out. maybe with your street-cred here in blogland, i will gain a bigger following. maybe??

    ReplyDelete