Monday, August 25, 2008

No Toy Horses

So, as with most things, I got myself all worked up into a lather over the first day of Kindergarten for Miz M. It went off without a hitch and there were no tears, no hanging-on-to-my-ankles-as-her-father-dragged-her-away....it was all very civilized and easy-going and uneventful.

And I'm realizing now that maybe, just maybe, that's exactly how the first day of school is supposed to go. Maybe it's normal to just go to school without any theatrics. Without any drama.

As usual, she teaches me. A lot.


As we walked home after picking her up (because Daddy had to do the drop-off... I wasn't risking the likelihood of blubbering) I asked her how it was and she gave me the pre-pubescent, monosyllabic response "fine".  I asked her what they did "not much".  I asked her if it was fun ("yes"), was the teacher nice ("yes"), did she make new friends ("uh-huh"), did she learn anything new?  That elicited a response. "Yes! We had to play this boring game and all I wanted to do was play with the toy horses!"

Sigh.

There's always tomorrow.


3 comments:

  1. How totally exciting! (Well, except for the boring games, I guess!)

    Glad you made it through. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks so much like you here! Yay, M!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the first day of Kindergarten with Em--about the same report back. Just wait 'til she doesn't stop talking about her day...it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete