Thursday, July 24, 2008

It's a mad, mad world

My life, lately, seems to be completely comprised of countdowns. My almostfiveyearold asks me every day "is it my birthday today?" and every day we count the days left on the calendar until she gets to celebrate (really, all she cares about is the cake and the presents...she's got her priorities straight). That doesn't stop her from asking every chance she gets....8 days to go.

I've let go of the trepidation I was feeling about turning 40. Now that I've managed to get my health on the right track, the whole turning-40-thing doesn't seem so ominous anymore. Still, it's another countdown....11 days left in my thirties.

My husband and I will be celebrating 7 years together this year. We met purely by chance (although there are no coinky-dinks, right?) when my dear friend Esteban made sure that I was in Seattle to attend his 40th and then left me to my own devices.  Seven years later and six years of marriage later, here we are.  It hasn't been easy but it has been worth it. (3 days until the 7 year itch, hon!)

And the most exciting and pressing countdown in my life right this very moment is for the premiere of AMC's "Mad Men".  While I don't want to steal her thunder, I must shamelessly brag about her upcoming debut on an amazing series (13 Emmy nominations, thank you very much). I have always known of her star quality but now the rest of the world will witness it as well.

Only 3 days to go.

3 comments:

  1. Having your health on track really should make 40 so much easier. I remember I went for a run with a friend of mine right after I turned 40 and she asked me how I felt about it. My answer was: I don't mind the number, but I do mind my own condition (flabby and frumpy); this said while gasping for air, of course. I, too, am gearing up for some changes in the near future, that are going to involve taking care of me.

    Looking forward to seeing Mad Men, and your lovely niece in action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having already joined to 40's club in Dec. I can tell you it isn't so bad. Yes, the cashier at Trader Joe's calls you" ma'am" and you will shell out over $100 for night cream (what is this 1950? night cream?). But, I think it is nice to be rid of some of the ickiness that came with being young. And you can now listen to all your 80's music without embarrassment. Who cares, right?
    Happy almost b-day.
    I can't wait for the premiere of Mad Men!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on 7 years! I'm right there with Mad Men - finally caught up on it and boy it is as good as a steak dinner.

    ReplyDelete