Monday, May 12, 2008

Dearest

This Mother's Day, I found it difficult to celebrate when all I could think of were the people who didn't have their mothers. My beautiful niece, Jessica, put into words the heartbreak so many of us feel after we've lost our mothers or those that have been mothers to us in one way or another. I think a lot about her mother when these holidays come upon us. I brace myself for the dull ache of it all. I look at my own daughters and can barely bring myself to embrace the warmth and love of it all knowing there are so many that do their very best just to get through it.  Without her.

And what of the broken children?  The ones who don't have a mother to love and care for them? To stroke their hair and tell them a million times how perfect they are?

I am married to a broken child.  A loving and generous child who has been made to question who he is, what he does and why he does it.  I watch him struggle through the discomfort of these Hallmark holidays that remind him that he doesn't measure up.  He busies himself to the point of exhaustion....all in an effort to avoid the reality of it.  There is no mother to celebrate on Mother's Day. 

So, while I have an amazing, selfless and dedicated mother who tells me how much she loves me and how wonderful I am, I cannot forget those that had to endure yet another Mother's day. Without her.

I dedicate my Mother's Day post to all of the broken children. The motherless children. You do measure up.

No comments:

Post a Comment