Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Like, omigod. Totally.

I need to go on the record as saying that I am not a Scooby Doo fan. Never have been. Never will be. Much to my surprise (and chagrin), my four year old is a fan of Scooby Doo (or, as she prefers to call him, “Scooby Dooby Dooby”). Let me tell you, that is a huge leap from all things princess and ballerina. It has become a regular habit to get our last fix of Scooby before bedtime (hey, I’m only human) and last night was no exception.

Whilst doing my best to ignore “ruh-roh Raggy!” in the background, I poked around my friend (and she is my friend, people, even if we have never laid eyes on each other) Suz’s blog to read some of her archives (this is a must-read even if you are not subjected to Scooby torture). One particular archive entry really brought me back to the shame and horror of my teen years in the 80’s. The only consolation while reading this hilarity was that I was not alone in my goofiness at that age.

I’ve been rather nostalgic lately. Seems like every corner I turn has some vestige of my youth. I’ll admit…sometimes I long for the “good old days” when I was single and childless and going out five or six times a week. This past weekend ended that skewed memory for me. I finally faced and accepted the fact that not only can I not handle going out for drinks (especially on an empty stomach) but I just don’t enjoy it like I used to. It may seem so simplistic but this is a very, very difficult thing for a social whore, such as myself. (okay, maybe not whore but I was known as the Cruise Director for many, many a year)

But…..I digress.

It’s easy to get wrapped up in what you perceive as the “good ‘ol days”. It’s easy to glorify it and think you’ve become a watered-down version of yourself. But, thanks to wonderful bloggers and friends you can get back on track in a jiffy after reading hilarious and nail-on-the-head-accurate ditties such as this. (Thank you MJ….you deliver, once again.)

4 comments:

  1. Heh heh -- do you still have that faxed drawing of the purse I bought at Marshall's? [cringing!]

    We could write a book, girl -- a book! Complete with illustrations. ;-)

    Glad to learn that I'm not the only one who remembers high school fondly. Seems to me that life got much harder after I left home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've become a dedicated emphasis mine reader thanks to you! I love the idea of blogging as a community which is really what is happening here.

    And I'm glad my love affair with craigslist brought you laughs haha I found that RIGHT when there were a few people around these parts who needed to be taken down a few notches.

    Nail-on-the-head-indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, that High School Husbands is one of my favorites. I was afraid to post at first because, as you pointed out, I was such a goof. But that is why we are all here after all, the find the links that bring us together, or that and good suggestions of funny Youtube videos.
    Thanks for the link cyber sister, and thanks MJ for the nice words too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to me what you said about sometimes thinking you've become a "watered-down version of yourself." I can imagine it's easy to feel that way as a mom, especially... I can't say with any experience or knowledge of my own, but I know that if we make choices we believe in, choices that matter, then we are never watered down, and we are never missing it. Life so often follows a set standard of ebbs and flows, easy comings and goings that can seem so humdrum, so ORDINARY, but that doesn't make it any less beautiful or important. I don't know what I mean by any of that, but I want you to know that you, and what you do every day, are important. What you do matters, and it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete