Thursday, February 21, 2008

Shake, Rattle & Roll

In my former gypsy days, I lived in San Francisco (and I do believe I left my heart there as well). It was a real learning experience to say the very, very least. It was a pivotal time in my life and, at the risk of sounding corny, magical. I attribute this directly to the simple fact that San Francisco is a unique place. Never have I experienced a place in the world like this fair city. I spent endless hours sitting on the roof of our building (accessed from the fire escape to our flat...ahhhh) watching the fog roll in, swallow up the city only to reveal it an hour later under streaming sunshine. Being a gypsy, I've lived all over the world (okay, not ALL over the world but damn near close) and never, ever have I witnessed something as strange and enchanting as this phenomenon.





The other supernatural experience that was a big learning experience were the earthquakes. I didn't live there during any significant quakes but I did experience tremors on what seemed a regular basis. My roommate warned me that I might notice things moving...the swaying blinds, lampshades trembling, items around the house jumping across their surfaces....she told me not to worry, though....it was normal. I was thrilled upon this revelation. I waited with eagerness for something to fall over and when it did I couldn't believe the softness of it. It was the first time in my life I was really aware that the Earth was a force to be reckoned with.

This morning, after my shower, I retrieved my coffee and plunked down on the bed to watch the latest headlines. I was intrigued to find out news relating to the satellite that was to be shot out of the sky. No news. I took a sip of coffee and felt that old, familiar swaying. Noooooooo. Surely this can't be the case. I must finally be losing my mind.

Thirty seconds later....there it was again. I looked to the blinds - no swaying. I looked to the lampshades - no trembling. I looked at the picture frames - no jumping across their surfaces. Yep, I'm losing my mind.

But.....I wasn't.


(Wells, NV is nearly 250 miles away so that is pretty impressive. But what is more impressive is the fact that I actually felt something and was not losing my mind. We'll leave that for when my daughters enter their teen years.....)

5 comments:

  1. Forgive me, but: Tag, you're it!

    The Rules

    1. Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
    2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
    3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
    4. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

    Play or don't play; it's all the same to me. I already broke the rules by only tagging 4 bloggers rather than 7. :-S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! And now I've got Tony Bennett stuck in my brain cells... Which is a good thing. :-)

    "I left my heaaaaart..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. When did you live there? I lived there too 91-2000. It was "magical" and a little dirty too.
    Glad all is okay.
    suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived there only briefly in 1994 (unfortunately) but loved every second of it. From there I traipsed down to Santa Barbara and loved that as well....there is no place like SF though (although I'm sure OC is a place I would love too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay this is gross, but kind of cool as well. While walking over the Golden Gate Bridge, stop in the middle of it. look out over the edge and spit out your gum. or just spit. It will fall but as soon as the air currents catch it, it will take off and end up 2-300 yards away in the water. I know, I know, the poor fish, but this is one of the coolest things I've seen. Well a close second to when my friend was attacked by a great white while we were paddling out to catch some waves. But pretty cool nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete