Monday, February 4, 2008

kissingsohard

I've had the great good fortune of meeting a lot of great people.  While they can be a squirrelly lot (in a very fun way), musicians are just plain fun to be around.  I had a very, very fun experience years and years ago when I was young(er) and living by the seat of my pants.  I was on a holiday (headed home to Boise when I lived in the big city - Seattle) with one of my best girlfriends. We landed in town (late at night and where did we go first?  a bar of course!  my mother can wait!), bellied up to the bar, ordered our drinks and cracked open a local rag to see what was going on while we were in town.  Much to our surprise some very good friends of ours were playing the next night and then....what?  John Doe?  With only a $5 cover?  Praise the Lord and pass the ammo!  We made our plans for the next day....would show up EARLY to get our tickets and BAM!  Big time in the little city!

Long story short, we were amongst a crowd of maybe 50.  We were slightly insulted but more grateful than anything else.  We were lucky enough to hang out with him....not in a can-I-get-your-autograph (story to follow) way but more of a wow-it-seems-like-forever-since-we-talked kind of way.  Don't get me wrong...we got his autograph but it's not what you think.  Our dearest friend Tamara, the coolest teacher in I dare say the world,  is the biggest fan of John Doe.  Not in a come-here-big-fella kind of way (but, come on, who doesn't feel that way about John Doe?) but in a I-have-such-deep-admiration-and-respect sorta way.  The sad part was that she was supposed to come with us but decided to be prudent and stay home to grade papers and be responsible.  So, being the mature, respectable girls we were at the time, we tore down a John Doe poster in the ladies' loo, asked him to sign it and with a sappy, sacharine love note to our friend.  And....he did.  Last I saw her, she still had it hanging in her entryway.

So, anyway.....John Doe. 



Whatta guy.  Every time I went to a show after that encounter he treated me like we were long lost pals.  I'd stand around either before or after his shows, waiting to see if there was an opportunity to say hello and, almost every time, I'd hear him bellow "NONO.... what are YOU doin' here!!!!!".  It honestly was enough just to see him perform (if you ever have the opportunity, do NOT pass it up) but then to be treated as a friend?  Nice.  So very nice.

Tonight I had the iPod on shuffle (recurring theme in my life due to my total and complete lack of an ability to make a decision) and KissingSoHard kept playing.  A rare album but so worth the trouble of finding and acquiring.  I would love to include a clip but Mr. Doe is a hard man to find.  Coinkydink?  I think not.  

Instead, I will include some of my favorite lyrics to a song called "Tragedy by Definition"....a bit serious, but that's how I like 'em.

When it all falls away
I don’t want you to have to be anything
I just want you to be
In love with me
When it all comes down to this
I don’t want you to have to do anything
I just want you to be
In love with me
I would crawl across the yard on my hands and knees
If that would keep you lovin’ me
I never wanna lose you
I see couples bustin’ apart at the seams
This world can be a tragedy

1 comment:

  1. It is a sad thing when a musician goes unappreicated (hense light crowds at shows) , but then it is a happy thing because we get to meet them.
    Too bad about your friend not being able to go, just shows you, being responsible isn't all it's cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete