Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Hasty

I have a lot of bad habits but, by far, the worst one is my celebrity-watch addiction. In the morning before I go to work, I read the news, check email, read my blogs and....check my tabloid sites like People.com and Perez Hilton. 

There. I said it. I read tabloids.

Today I saw this picture:
Christopher Walken Hasty Pudding

I seriously laughed my ass off.

But I wasn't laughing at him (like I would ever dare laugh at Christopher Walken?!).  I was laughing at myself and the absurdity of my hastiness to judge others.  I mean, it may not be earth-shattering stuff but I certainly have plenty going on in my life.   And yet I waste precious minutes of my (and my family's) day keeping up on this crap?  And I mean crap.  Not only is it a colossal waste of time but I am playing a very big and active part in the breakdown of our society.  Gawd.  The idea of my being a part of that and, even worse, passing judgment on people I don't even know? Horrible.

These people are real human beings.  Real people with real families and real lives and real problems (no matter how surreal they may seem).  It puts it in perspective when I think about the fact that Britney Spears is four years older than my niece (a lovely young lady and also an aspiring actress in LA).  Just the idea of someone passing judgment on her because of how she dresses or where she eats or who she's dating or how she decides to live her life really seems preposterous to me.  I believe we ALL breathe a heavy sigh of relief that our 'teens and 20's weren't documented on film for the whole world to scrutinize and pick apart. 

Needless to say, this part of my morning routine has been tossed in the crapper.  I'm making a lot of changes in my life that have been a long time coming and this one is at the top of that list.  I suppose it's safe to say that mom was right (once again)....if you have nothing nice to say then shaddap!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with that! This is a very topical post for me as I'm afraid I was not able to be that noble today. :-S

    http://beadifulthings.blogspot.com/2008/02/dancing-with-joker.html

    Yes, I am hugely grateful that my tempestuous and hideously immature 20s were not out there for all the world to witness and ridicule. But I also didn't move to Hollywood to seek out stardom (and I think those who do must surely know what they're in for if they find success).

    I made all my mistakes in relative obscurity, subjected to the disdain & derision of my inner circle of close friends and, alas, some not so close acquaintances. Which is also not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get your point but I don't think it justifies judging someone you don't know. Luckily, the lives we've "chosen" don't put us in the position of being gawked at and scrutinized so I guess we'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo boy I could talk about this for a while... I've never been much of one to get star-struck very easily, but moving to LA has especially opened my eyes to see that "famous people" are just that-- people who are famous. People. I know it sounds so lame and oversimplified, but celebrities are not smarter, prettier, or generally better than un-famous people, they are simply talented individuals (but aren't we all?) who came in the crosshairs of readiness and opportunity. Honestly, if I could have a fabulous, fulfilling acting career and never ever EVER be "famous", I'd take it in a heartbeat. But as the industry stands, success=fame. And that is our lot.

    ReplyDelete